The Walter E. Bothe Memorial Scholarship was established by Mary Ann Petree for Michigan State University’s School of Criminal Justice in honor of the memory, achievements and vitality of her brother.
The memorial scholarship is intended to encourage students of law enforcement who have demonstrated the capacity to achieve educational and professional goals, the motivation to achieve these goals and the initiative to seek opportunities to further their progress.
The Bothe scholarship is an endowment that provides tuition support on an annual basis to students majoring in criminal justice with an interest in law enforcement. The recipient may reapply for the award in subsequent years. In keeping with the conditions of the scholarship, the school employs the following criteria when selecting a recipient:
- Undergraduate or graduate level student enrolled full- or part-time who has a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- The recipient should have a demonstrable interest in a law enforcement career on the local, state or federal level.
- The recipient must possess the capacity, motivation and initiative to realize educational and professional goals.
Applications for the Walter E. Bothe Memorial Scholarship must be received by the School of Criminal Justice by the last Friday in February. A selection committee will recommend a recipient to the director of the School of Criminal Justice. The recipient will be notified in writing.
*Applications accepted until the last Friday in February for the following academic year*
Instructions for applying:
Complete and submit the scholarship application. Submit with a copy of your college transcripts (unofficial printout from StuInfo is recommended). Submit an updated resume. Submit a personal letter explaining why you chose the criminal justice field and the career you wish to pursue after graduation.
YOU MUST ALSO ARRANGE TO HAVE THE FOLLOWING LETTERS OF REFERENCE SENT DIRECTLY TO THE SCHOOL OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE:
- One letter of recommendation from an instructor or professor familiar with your scholastic endeavors.
- One letter of personal reference from an individual (not a former teacher or family member) who can attest to your character.
Send scholarship application and supporting documents to:School of Criminal Justice
Michigan State University
Scholarship Selection Committee
655 Auditorium Road Room 557
East Lansing, MI 48824-1118