Captain James A. Carter of the Michigan Department of State Police established this scholarship generated by the Tournament of Friendship. The tournament is an annual golf event held for the purpose of promoting and fostering positive relations between members of law enforcement and minority communities.
The Tournament of Friendship Scholarship is intended to encourage students who have demonstrated the capacity to achieve educational and professional goals and who have the initiative to seek opportunities to further advance their progress.
This scholarship is awarded to minority students pursuing a degree in the field of criminal justice. In keeping with the conditions of the scholarship, the school employs the following criteria when selecting a recipient:
- Undergraduate or graduate level criminal justice student enrolled full- or part-time, and have a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Student must be a resident in the state of Michigan.
- The recipient will be selected on the basis of financial need, as determined by the university.
- The recipient must possess the capacity, motivation and initiative to realize educational and professional goals.
*Applications accepted until the last Friday in February for the following academic year*
Instructions for applying:
Complete and submit the scholarship application. Submit a copy of your college transcripts (unofficial printout from StuInfo is recommended). Submit an updated resume. Submit a personal letter explaining why you chose the criminal justice field and the career you wish to pursue after graduation. Submit a copy of the financial aid award notification to demonstrate financial need.
YOU MUST ALSO ARRANGE TO HAVE THE FOLLOWING LETTERS OF REFERENCE SENT DIRECTLY TO THE SCHOOL OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE:
- One letter of recommendation from an instructor or professor familiar with your scholastic endeavors.
- One letter of personal reference from an individual (not a former teacher or family member) who can attest to your character.
Send scholarship application and supporting documents to:School of Criminal Justice
Michigan State University
Scholarship Selection Committee
655 Auditorium Road Room 557
East Lansing, MI 48824-1118